The Cost of Fear is a Side Quest in Ghost of Tsushima (GoT). Tales of Tsushima are categorized as the typical side quests of the game, these are optional where players partake through side activities of the game that advances side plots of the game. Side Quests heavily focuses on stories that revolve around NPCs encountered throughout the game. Completing a side quest rewards Jin with unique items and many more.
I found a man dying in the snow of Jogaku. Not from the cold, but from poison. Likely the same poison I put in the hands of our enemy. As he died, the man said his family was also poisoned at their nearby home. I can’t let them suffer the same fate.
The Cost of Fear Information
- Location: South of Jogaku Temple Lake
- Quest Giver: Sick Peasant
- Act 3: Kill the Khan
- Region: Kamiagata
- Prerequisite: Complete the main quest "Honor and Ash"
The Cost of Fear Rewards
The Cost of Fear Objectives
- Speak with the Sick Man
- Reach the Poisoned Family
- Travel to the Camp
- Look for Supplies (3/3)
- Return to the Cabin
- Defeat the Mongols
- Speak with the Woman
The Cost of Fear Walkthrough
Speak with the Sick Man
- This quest can be obtained through exploration and is available after completing the main quest "Honor and Ash".
- The location of the sick man can be found near the Fox Den on the south side of Jogaku Temple Lake and in between Ice Forest Crossroads and the High Point Guard Post.
- You'll also be able to find a Golden Bird that will guide you to the location of the sick man's camp. When you arrive, you'll find him throwing up, speak to him to start the quest. You'll learn that his family has been poisoned and that you can find the cabin up the cliffs.
- The location of the man's home is automatically marked on the map - use Guiding Wind.
Reach the Poisoned Family
- Mount your horse and head towards the poisoned family. Approach the barricaded door and interact with it to speak to the man's wife.
- After speaking to them, head towards the nearby Mongol camp to search for supplies. You'll need to collect x3 supplies. There's one in the round tent, one in the building, and the other inside an open tent next to a campfire.
- Once you have collected all three, return to the cabin to give the supplies to the family.
Defeat the Mongols
- When you arrive, you'll see that the Mongols have the area surrounded and that they've started to burn down the cabin.
- Be ready to fight and to clear out all the Mongols surrounding the area. You'll encounter shieldmen and brute guards here, as well as archers.
- If you have Ghost Stance available. USE IT! And try to take out the brute guard first. Remember to also switch to Water Stance which is effective against breaking the guard of the shieldmen.
- Once you've killed all of the Mongols, approach the woman who's been shot and speak to her. You'll find her just outside of the cabin.
- Jin learns that the rest of the family is dead and that it's too late to save her. This completes the side quest.
The Cost of Fear Notes, Tips, and Trivia
- Notes, Tips, and trivia.