The Iron Hook is a Main Quest in Ghost of Tsushima (GoT). Main Quests in Ghost of Tsushima (GoT) are categorized as "Jin's Journey", these are highlighted in Gold and focuses on the main campaign of the game. Completing main quests reward Jin with various items such as reputation points, tools, resources, charms, and story progression. Please see Quests for other walkthroughs on other tasks.
I alsmot have everything I need to save my uncle from Castle Kaneda. Sensei Ishikawa, Lady Masako, and Ryuzo's straw hats are poised for the rescue.
All I need is a tool to scale the castle walls, and Taka is hard at work on the task. I should check on Yuna in the town of Komatsu Forge.
The Iron Hook Information
- Location: Komatsu Forge
- Quest Giver: n/a
- Act 1: Rescue Lord Shimura
- Main Tasks completed: Forge a tool to climb the walls of Castle Kaneda.
- Prerequisite: Complete the following main quests:
The Iron Hook NPCs
The Iron Hook Rewards
- Iron Hook
- Major Legend Increase
The Iron Hook Objectives
- Find Yuna in Komatsu Forge
- Speak with Yuna
- Travel with Yuna to the forge
- Speak with Taka
- Speak with Ryuzo
- Travel with Ryuzo
- Meet up with the Straw Hats
- Speak with Ryuzo
- Travel to Fort Yatate with the Straw Hats
- Reach the cliffside
- Grapple up the cliffside
- Free the Straw Hat prisoners
- Defeat the Mongols
- Signal Ryuzo
- Open the inner gates of Fort Yatate
- Defeat the Mongols
The Iron Hook Walkthrough
Find Yuna in Komatsu Forge
- Just like any main tale, open your Journal in the menu and track the tale to mark the location of the first objective.
- You'll need to travel back to Komatsu Forge and speak to Yuna to start this quest.
- You'll find her in the small village near the forge speaking to one of the peasants.
- After speaking to Yuna, head to the forge and speak to Taka to acquire a new tool.
- Taka provides Jin with the iron hook which will allow him to grapple onto ledges and climb walls.
- Ryuzo will then be outside shouting and looking for Jin. Head outside the forge and approach him.
- It seems he is in trouble and that the Mongols have captured his best fighters who they need to free in order to help and join the task of rescuing Lord Shimura.
Travel with Ryuzo
- After the cutscene, travel with Ryuzo to meet up with the rest of the Straw Hats.
- You'll learn that Ryuzo's allies are being held captive in Fort Yatate.
- When you reach the Straw Hats' camp, another cutscene will trigger.
- After the cutscene, speak to Ryuzo before riding out to Fort Yatate along with the rest of the Straw Hats.
- You'll reach the bottom of the fort and with your new tool, you can now climb walls and reach cliffs with ease.
Reach the cliffside
- Follow the marker and you'll see a huge gap that you need to cross. With the grapple hook, you can now jump and swing across with the help of the iron hook.
- There's gonna be a lot of swinging and platforming involved on this level.
- While running, press X to jump towards the edge and then R2 to hook onto grapple points.
- Work your way around the cliff and head to the top of the fort.
Free the Straw Hat prisoners
- When you reach the fort. Look to your right and you'll see a branch you can hook and swing to reach the watchtower on the other end.
- The Mongol soldier inside the watchtower is looking away, so you can swing across and assassinate him from behind.
- Use the rooftops to be unseen and assassinate them one by one. There is a lot of Mongol soldiers patrolling the fort, so take your time to thin out their numbers.
- There's also a Mongol leader as well that you'll eventually fight in order to obtain a point that can unlock a new Stance.
- Once you've cleared the area, head to the cages and free the Straw Hat prisoners.
- From here, once you've freed all the prisoners, you'll need to defeat the remaining Mongols.
- The Straw Hats will fight alongside you but they can be knocked down. When this happens, make sure you revive them before the time runs out. Leaving a straw hat warrior to die will fail this quest.
- After killing the rest of the Mongols, head to the next marked objective and sound the alarm to send a signal to Ryuzo and open the inner gate.
Defeat the Mongols
- You'll see that the remaining Mongols are standing their ground at the front gate. Once you go through the inner gate, quickly rush to the battlefield and kill the remaining enemies.
- You can shoot them from behind or throw bombs at them since the Mongols are focused on attacking the front.
- Simply kill all the enemies to trigger another cutscene and to complete this quest.
The Iron Hook Notes, Tips, and Trivia
- Notes, Tips, and trivia.