A Message in Fire is a Main Quest in Ghost of Tsushima (GoT). Main Quests in Ghost of Tsushima (GoT) are categorized as "Jin's Journey", these are highlighted in Gold and focuses on the main campaign of the game. Completing main quests reward Jin with various items such as reputation points, tools, resources, charms, and story progression. Please see Quests for other walkthroughs on other tasks.
We need samurai reinforcements if we’re going to save our home. The shogun can provide them, but only if we contact him to request more forces.
Lord Shimura knows a pirate named Goro skilled enough to break through the Mongol blockade and deliver our request. I should be able to find him in the smuggler’s den of Umugi Cove.
A Message in Fire Information
- Location: Umugi Cove
- Quest Giver: Lady Sanjo
- Act 2: Retake Castle Shimura
- Prerequisite: Complete A New Horizon
A Message in Fire NPCs
A Message in Fire Rewards
A Message in Fire Objectives
- Search for Umugi Cove
- Follow the guard to meet Lady Sanjo
- Speak with Goro
- Walk with Goro
- Take the map from Goro
- Confront the ronin
- Meet Lord Shimura at his old hunting camp
- Speak with Lord Shimura at his camp
- Travel with Lord Shimura to meet Goro
- Follow Goro to his boat
- Travel with Lord Shimura to Fort Mitodake
- Ambush the Mongol patrol with Lord Shimura
- Attack Fort Mitodake with Lord Shimura
- Open the gates with Lord Shimura
- Attack Fort Mitodake with Lord Shimura
- Fight to the hwacha tower with Lord Shimura
- Defend Goro’s ship
A Message in Fire Walkthrough
- To start, open your Journal in the menu and track the tale to mark the location of the first objective.
- You will be tasked to search Umugi Cove. Look for the path that has red flowers so that you can discover the Den of Thieves.
- When you reach the area, a cutscene will trigger where Jin will be stopped by one of the guards. Once Jin introduces himself, without any question the guard will mention that Lady Sanjo who runs the area wishes to speak to you. Simply follow the guard to where Lady Sanjo is.
- Take the time to explore the area to gather resources and to check out the merchants. If you're done, speak to Lady Sanjo, and another cutscene will trigger.
- After speaking to Lady Sanjo, make sure to check her room to find a couple of resources.
The Smuggler, Goro
- Head back down and speak to Goro who's drinking his sake. Another cutscene will trigger upon speaking to him.
- Next, follow Goro and walk with him to his house. Once you arrive, he'll give you a map. Press R2 to obtain it.
- Once you've obtained the map, two ronin will start banging at Goro's front door. Approach the door and open it to start another cutscene.
- After confronting the ronin, call your horse and head to Shimura's old hunting camp at Firefly Marsh. You'll need to travel with him to meet Goro at the rendezvous point.
- Upon meeting Goro, simply follow him until you reach the outskirts of Fort Mitodake.
Liberate Fort Mitodake
- Follow Lord Shimura towards the location where you'll start the ambush of the Mongol caravan.
- Once you the caravan is within your range, you can shoot it down with your explosive arrows or wait for Shimura to attack then follow up with assassinating them from above.
- After the ambush, head towards Fort Mitodake and defeat the Mongol reinforcements that are coming from the front. Head towards the gate once you've killed the enemies and open it.
- Upon entering, archers will begin to shoot flaming arrows from the left side. Follow Shimura to the nearby gate and he'll open it for you so that you can fight the rest of the soldiers.
- You'll want to take care of the archers first that are positioned on high-ground. As soon as you enter the upper courtyard, look to your left to spot the archers.
- Keep pushing through the fort while you slaughter more Mongols until a cutscene triggers where you'll see the Mongols use the "hwacha".
- Quickly head up the path that leads to the hwacha. Be ready to dodge a lot and make sure you have enough Resolve to recover your health. You'll encounter more enemies along the way while you try to avoid getting hit by the projectiles coming from the hwacha.
- You'll identify where the arrows will land when you see a white circle on the ground. Avoid getting hit since it can tremendously lessen your health.
- When you're near the tower where the hwacha is, quickly sprint to it and kill the Mongol soldier that's operating it. Once that's done, interact with the device and another cutscene will trigger
Defend Goro's Ship
- Lord Shimura will then fight the remaining Mongol soldiers while he leaves you to operate the hwacha.
- Your task is to defend Goro's ship from the Mongols.
- Simply move the left analog stick to aim the hwacha and press R2 to start shooting out the flaming arrows.
- First, take out the Mongol ships that are blocking the way, then shoot the archers that are on the shore.
- Once you've killed the archers, quickly shift your aim towards the battle ships, there's about three of them.
- After destroying the large ones, there will be just a couple more regular-sized ships you need to destroy.
- You'll complete this mission once Goro's ship is able to cross the sea and after the cutscene between Jin and Lord Shimura.
A Message in Fire Notes, Tips, and Trivia
- Notes, Tips, and trivia.